Tips and Tools: Tips for Increasing Fibre in Your Diet
- Change from white bread to whole wheat bread
- Change to a high-fibre cereal
- Replace orange juice with oranges and apple juice with apples
- Eat brown rice instead of white rice
- Eat more beans and lentils
Increase dietary fibre gradually to allow time for your body to adjust. Sudden increases can cause gas, diarrhea and bloating. For example, begin with 20 grams/day and after a few days increase it to 25 grams/day. Ensure that you drink plenty of fluids.