Tips and Tools: Dust and mite allergies
To avoid dust and mite allergens (the substances that cause allergy symptoms):
- Use window blinds or curtains that can be washed frequently.
- Wash bed linens in hot water and dry on the hottest setting.
- Eliminate carpeting or choose low pile carpet.
- Put plastic covers on pillows, mattresses and box springs.
- Do not use a feather- or down-filled pillow.
- Vacuum floors and clean surfaces weekly.
- Avoid clutter; keep small items such as books and CDs inside cabinets, boxes or drawers.
- Use a vacuum cleaner with a high-efficiency particulate arresting (HEPA) filter to collect dust and dust mites.